Sunday 14 June 2009

Visiting Nanna

Yesterday (it is 00:20 now) I went to see my Nanna in hospital.
When my dad and myself arrived I could have burst into tears. I'd been told she was down to six stone, but it didn't prepare me for seeing her that frail.
My childhood memory of her is a tall, well built lady. Not fat mind you, I don't want her coming up here and clipping me round the ear!
Despite being 84, having terminal cancer (that's really hard to acknowledge, let alone type) and a chest infection which has seen her in hospital for the best part of two months, she seemed in good spirits.
When we first arrived she was short of breath, but with the help of some oxygen, she soon started chatting away. And with all her marbles too.
Just before we left, my uncle Ian arrived. I honestly don't remember the last time I saw him. He seemed surprised by my hair thinning and weight adding abilty. I was surprised he was dressed in full leather biker gear! In fairness, he does have a bike!
I fully intend to to down and see Nanna again while I'm off. Hopefully I'll be able to take The Missus and Matty too.

Love ya Nanna, xxx.

No comments: