Thursday 13 March 2008

Typical Workplace Conversation

This guy approaches my window with a bank card and a National Rail receipt.
"I lost my monthly travelcard. I've got a receipt and the card I paid with can you give me a new one?"
"No sorry, London Underground only replaces tickets issued by ourselves."
"I've only just lost it in the gates though."
"Have you spoken to the member of staff on the gateline to see if he can retrieve it?"
"No, because it was at London Bridge."
"So why have you travelled half way across London for a replacement?"
"Because I did, are you going to replace it?"
"No, we don't replace National Rail issued tickets, you need to speak to National Rail staff."
"But it was an Underground travelcard."
"No it wasn't. It may have been valid for the Underground but it wasn't issued by the Underground."
"Why don't you replace them? You're both train companies."
"We're different train operators with different proceedures."
"So?"
"Let me put it another way. If you lost your Big Mac, would you go to Burger King for a replacement?"
"What?"
"You heard."
"No, of course not."
"Why?"
"Because they're different restaurants."
"But they both sell burgers."
"Yeah........ But........ Erm.........."
"Exactly."

No comments: