Friday 18 April 2008

Enough Is Enough

My homelife is as near as makes no difference to perfect.
The missus and myself are expecting our first child. We have a lovely 3 bedroom bungalow (Although, I'd like to pay less mortgage for it!). A cat that keeps me entertained and company when the missus is working. All the mod cons that a bloke could ask for and a very comfy bed.

My worklife, however, tears at the very existance of my soul.
It's not the money, I get a fair wage.
The holidays aren't bad either.
It's not London Underground either. If anything, I'm proud to work on the Tube.
Nor is it my colleagues, who keep me sane.

It's this;
There is no challenge in my job. Nothing. It's soul destroying.
For eight hours a day I listen to people moaning, non-stop.
"My Oyster card's not working." (Usually because they've failed to validate it at one end of their journey or haven't topped up their pre-pay.)
"The fares are too high."
"The service is shit."
"This."
"That."
"And the other."
"Blah, blah, blah, until the end of your shift."

Well let me tell you something, I couldn't give a fuck anymore. I've listened to it for over seven years.

They're not the one stuck for eight days in a row in a boring, endless job they hate. They're not the one listening to people bitching at and blaming them for something that is out of their control. They're not the one who gets sworn at just because there's a 5 minute gap in the train service. They're not the one who's been spat at and assaulted in the past.

They are the ones who will no longer get sympathy from me.
They'll get a polite smile and a customer services card.

I am determined that this job will not get me down anymore.
I am determined that this job will not cause sleep deprived nights, such as this, anymore.

Customer services card anyone?

End.

No comments: