Saturday 6 September 2008

Typical Pethadine Conversation

While the missus was in labour, she was given pethadine to try and numb her pain. Below are some of the things she said to me.

"The feet."
"Eh?"
"The feet. It's the best bit about her."
"Who?"
Silence.

"The car park."
"What about it?"
"It's full up from the front."
"Oooh.k."

"James?"
"Yeah hon, I'm here."
"James?"
"Yeah love?"
"James?"
"Yeah?"
"James?"
"What is it babe?"
"Hmmmmph!"
"?"

And finally, the one that will haunt me forever.
She pulls me close and busts my heart wide open by murmuring;

"Oh, James, please James, help me, I can't take the pain. Please help me James, please, please help me, I can't take the pain."

The pethadine isn't working. I can't help her. I stand there helpless. I hold her as tight as I can and try to not let her see my tears or hear my desperate sobbing.

1 comment:

The Sween! said...

Sorry to hear the last part matey. But you must've had a go on the gas & air? If not - why not?