Monday 14 July 2008

Appreciation

Now and then, shit like this happens.
When it does, I know I'm in for a hell of a week.
Today is Monday, the busiest day of the week. Everyone wants their weekly travelcard or pay-as-you-go topped up. Not to mention the countless tourists who have just arrived in the area. Add into this a load of Oyster card replacements and you've got yourself one hell of a queue.
Needless to say, I worked my arse off this morning and afternoon. By the end of my duty I was tired, mentally exhausted, red eyed and had a mouth as dry as Ghandi's flip flop. I just wanted a quick getaway to clear my head, but what came was even better.
My Supervisor and pal Barry came into the Ticket Office and handed me a copy of an e-mail he'd sent to the managers office. It was a nomination for a "Thanks To You" award. I was only doing my job and didn't expect this at all. What was most greatly appreciated though, was when Barry gave me a firm handshake, looked me in the eye and said "Thanks for all your hard work today James, we really appreciate it." Words of gratitude like this go a very long way and I left work rejuvenated and very upbeat. It is the simple face-to-face thanks like this which is, in my opinion, far too often overlooked by London Underground.
Whether I get the award or not isn't important. Like I said, sometimes shit happens and you just have to deal with it. Like today.
And probably tomorrow.
Come to think of it, Wednesday's looking like a bitch too!

4 comments:

Dan said...

hehe sounds like a blast, but at least they said thanks ;)

I remember back in the day when I got in to work at telewest and found someone had stolen the Cable TV headend - the servers that send out the TV to all the customers in (then) Essex, Kent and London South.

THAT was an interesting 72 hours. I got a pen.

Shiny Demon said...

I'm sure that you've written many important shopping lists with said pen;)

Anonymous said...

Aye. Right. Your bosses are just keeping you sweet cos there's no way they want to be stuck putting up with the shite you do if you were to decide to jack it in en mass...

Tell them to stick their money where their gold star is - pay rise.

Barry Hensey said...

You did a great job yesterday, James, with all those poxy failed Oyster cards!

Your hard work and effort really was very much appreciated, and I personally am very proud to work alongside you.

Poxy Oyster cards.