Tuesday 22 July 2008

Typical Workplace Conversation

Way back in the day, when I'd only just qualified to work in the Ticket Office, this happened;
I was working in the Office at Clapham South and the Station Supervisor came in.
"This mobile phone was handed in as lost property. Can you put it in a keep-safe bag and place it in the safe until it's ready for despatch to the Lost Property Office."
No problem, I seal the phone in the bag, put it in the safe and log the details in the log book.
No sooner had I done this when we heard the phone ringing. So I open the safe, tear open the bag and answer the phone to, quite possibly, the most stupid woman in the world.
"Hello?"
"Oh thank god, someone's found it. That's my boyfriends phone."
"Yes he left it on a train not long ago. It's with the staff Clapham South Underground station."
"Oh that's great. He doesn't work far from there, I'll get him to pick it up at lunchtime."
"No problem, we'll keep it safe."
"Thank you, bye."
"Ta-la."
I seal the phone in another bag and put it back in the safe. As soon as I lock the safe door, the phone starts ringing again. Again, I open the safe, tear open the bag and answer.
"Hello?"
"Oh, I think I just spoke to you. Are you the guy at Clapham South?"
"Yes, is everything o.k?"
"Yes, I just phoned to tell my boyfriend I'd found his phone."
"Erm, o.k then. Bye."
"Sorry, bye."

No comments: